Student Visa Info

Being in F-1 student status means that your primary purpose for being in the U.S. is to study.

  • Learn what F-1 students need to know about paying the SEVIS fee.
  • Understand what you need to do to maintain your F-1 student status.
  • F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus during their academic program if they are maintaining their F-1 status.
  • Immigration regulations require that F-1 students maintain a full course of study. However, the regulations do permit a “Reduced Course Load” in very limited situations.
  • Find out what you need to do if your I-20 is expiring and you need more time to complete your studies.
  • Find out how to apply for a Leave of Absence and how it impacts your immigration status.
  • Some F-1 students wish to bring their spouse and/or children to the U.S.  Learn about F-2 status and what you need to do to obtain F-2 I-20’s for your dependents.
  • To be eligible for a change of status to F-1, you must have maintained and currently be in valid immigration status, be admitted to Approach, and have received an I-20. F-1 is a non-immigrant visa category.
  • Economic Hardship employment authorization is permission granted to F-1 students by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work off-campus due to specific economic hardship criteria.
  • If you plan to transfer from Approach to another school or vice versa, you may need a SEVIS Transfer.
  • Orientation Session
    Participation in this session is required for all new international students, students changing their status to F-1, and those students returning to Approach.